I am currently unemployed and considering several different options: 1) returning to the industry I recently left, 2) pursuing a professional certification before I return to work, and/or 3) starting my own small business. Problem is, they are all great options and therefore, I am struggling to make a decision. It feels like I am stuck in the analysis paralysis phase. Megs, where do I even begin? Can you tell me how to break it down so I can make a decision and move forward to a career I love? Thank you! Lucy
Hi there, Lucy!
Sometimes the greatest and most challenging situations are the ones where all of your options are great ones. Am I right? So, let’s take a minute and just feel some gratitude for the abundance in your life!
I’m going to assume that you like what you do, but if you don’t you should think about what industry you want to workin and in what capacity. With that said, I think the best way to navigate this is to consider 3 sets of questions:
Question Set One:
- Regardless if you return to your former industry OR start your own business, will having a professional certification propel you forward in your career?
- Is the professional certificate necessary?
Question Set Two:
- Do you mind working for someone else?
- Do you find comfort in having a regular paycheck, retirement benefits, and employer sponsored health insurance?
Question Set Three:
- Are you an entrepreneur at heart?
- Do you have an idea for a business that you can’t imagine NOT investing time and money into building it?
- And finally, do you have the financial flexibility to not make income while you set your business up and grow it?
I think once you answer these questions, your answer will be clear. The other thing to keep in mind, is that you CAN build a business while working a standard job. This will give you some financial stability (if you need it) while you build your dream.
I hope these prompts can help you get more clear on your path!